What is Bike to the Future?
Bike to the Future is back from the past! Bike to the Future is a scholarship competition run by Silicon Valley Clean Energy in which high school students design and build an electric bike (e-bike) engaging in hands-on engineering, environmental innovation, and teamwork. Over the course of 3 months, high school teams from all over SVCE’s service area designed and built electric bike from scratch and prepared their presentations to compete in the event. In building electric bikes, students engaged in hands-on learning in the fields of engineering, design, environmental innovation and clean technology.
While it is a competition, Bike to the Future is also an expansion of bicycle and electrification awareness and excitement! Now that the electricity is carbon-free through Silicon Valley Clean Energy, transitioning to electric transportation reduces greenhouse gas emissions. Electric bikes promote clean air, reduced carbon emissions and are a fun, healthy way to travel around town. In addition to providing clean electricity, Silicon Valley Clean Energy is taking on climate change in addressing greenhouse gas emissions in our community. Bike to the Future provides an opportunity for high school students to engage in sustainable and active modes of transportation and tangible solutions to support the growth of clean technology careers!.
January 16, 2020 6:00 pm
Sunnyvale Community Center, Community Room
May 2, 2020
Santa Clara County Fairgrounds
Registration for Bike to the Future 2020 is currently open until January 17!
What are the awards for winning teams?
First, second, and third place teams will be awarded with scholarship prizes to be divided equally among team members. The scholarship amounts are:
- 1st place is awarded $7,500
- 2nd place is awarded $5,000
- 3rd place is awarded $3,500
This year, SVCE is implementing two new awards to promote team spirit and sportsmanship throughout the competition, in addition to the original scholarship amounts:
- Best Team Spirit is awarded $1,000
- Best Sportsmanship is awarded $1,000
Bike to the Future 2019 Recap
- 16 high school teams competed in challenges throughout the day testing acceleration, battery efficiency, maneuverability and creativity. The challenges included a test to see how quickly bikes reached 20 miles per hour from 0 miles per hour, a battery range test to recognize the most efficient batteries, an obstacle course to test their bikes functionality and a presentation of innovative strategies to achieve a clean transportation future.
- Bike to the Future Competition Day was held at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds on April 27, 2019 and hosted close to 200 attendees.
- Teams were comprised of students from the following high schools: Branham, Calaveras Hills, Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy, Fremont, Homestead, Leigh, Live Oak, Milpitas, Mountain View and Saratoga.
Bike to the Future 2019 Winners are:
- 1st Place – Team IYA Industries from Homestead High School
- 2nd Place – Team Spartans from Mountain View High School
- 3rd Place – Team BBB from Branham High School
For result of each competition see Bike to the Future 2019 Result below
Bike to the Future Full Results
This section outlines the final results for each challenge within Bike to the Future.
– 1st Place: IYA Industries, Homestead High School
– 2nd Place: ElectroBoomers, Fremont High School
– 3rd Place: In-E-Out, Leigh High School
– 4th Place: Spartans, Mountain View High School
– 5th Place: Peregrines, Saratoga High School
– 1st Place: Twister Technologies, Leigh High School
– 2nd Place: Peregrines, Saratoga High School
– 3rd Place: IYA Industries, Homestead High School
– 4th Place: Xtreme Robotics, Milpitas High School
– 5th Place: Spartans, Mountain View High School
– 1st Place: BBB, Branham High School
– 2nd Place: Speedy Acorns, Live Oak High School
– 3rd Place: FaStastic Falcons, Saratoga High School
– 1st Place: In-E-Out, Leigh High School
– 2nd Place: Spartans, Mountain View High School
– 3rd Place: IYA Industries, Homestead High School
– 4th Place: Mustang Riders, Homestead High School
– 5th Place: ElectroBoomers, Fremont High School
In our inaugural year, the event was hosted at Gilroy Gardens on Saturday, May 5, 2018 and brought together students, families, elected officials and members of the public to watch as the e-bike riders ran through an acceleration challenge, obstacle course, range test and presentation of their e-bike. Teams from Freemont High School, Mountain View High School, Saratoga High School, Alta Vista High School, Los Altos High School and Milpitas High School all showed off their amazing e-bikes.
Congratulations to the winning teams and all who participated:
- First Place: Fremont High School “Fire E-gles”
- Second Place: Mountain View High School “Spartans”
- Third Place (two winners): Saratoga High School “E-FISH” and “Fastastic Falcons”
- The “Fastastic Falcons” from Saratoga High School were awarded with the School Spirit Award for demonstrating excellent school pride and team resilience.
Thank you to the 2018 Partners & Sponsors!