Bike to the Future
What is Bike to the Future?
Bike to the Future is back from the past! Bike to the Future is a scholarship competition run by Silicon Valley Clean Energy in which high school students design and build an electric bike (e-bike) engaging in hands-on engineering, environmental innovation, and teamwork. Over the course of 3 months, high school teams from all over SVCE’s service area designed and built electric bike from scratch and prepared their presentations to compete in the event. In building electric bikes, students engaged in hands-on learning in the fields of engineering, design, environmental innovation and clean technology.
2020 Competition Canceled:
Due to COVID-19, Bike to the Future 2020 has been canceled. Silicon Valley Clean Energy acknowledges the hard work and excitement of the students competing this year and looks forward to students returning to compete in Bike to the Future 2021.
What are the awards for winning teams?
First, second, and third-place teams will be awarded scholarship prizes to be divided equally among team members. The scholarship amounts are:
- 1st place is awarded $7,500
- 2nd place is awarded $5,000
- 3rd place is awarded $3,500
Bike to the Future Recaps
Bike to the Future 2019 Recap
- 16 high school teams competed in challenges throughout the day testing acceleration, battery efficiency, maneuverability and creativity. The challenges included a test to see how quickly bikes reached 20 miles per hour from 0 miles per hour, a battery range test to recognize the most efficient batteries, an obstacle course to test their bikes functionality and a presentation of innovative strategies to achieve a clean transportation future.
- Bike to the Future Competition Day was held at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds on April 27, 2019 and hosted close to 200 attendees.
- Teams were comprised of students from the following high schools: Branham, Calaveras Hills, Dr. TJ Owens Gilroy Early College Academy, Fremont, Homestead, Leigh, Live Oak, Milpitas, Mountain View and Saratoga.
Bike to the Future 2019 Winners:
- 1st Place – Team IYA Industries from Homestead High School
- 2nd Place – Team Spartans from Mountain View High School
- 3rd Place – Team BBB from Branham High School
In our inaugural year, the event was hosted at Gilroy Gardens on Saturday, May 5, 2018 and brought together students, families, elected officials and members of the public to watch as the e-bike riders ran through an acceleration challenge, obstacle course, range test and presentation of their e-bike. Teams from Freemont High School, Mountain View High School, Saratoga High School, Alta Vista High School, Los Altos High School and Milpitas High School all showed off their amazing e-bikes.
Bike to the Future 2018 Winners:
- First Place: Fremont High School “Fire E-gles”
- Second Place: Mountain View High School “Spartans”
- Third Place (two winners): Saratoga High School “E-FISH” and “Fastastic Falcons”
- The “Fastastic Falcons” from Saratoga High School were awarded with the School Spirit Award for demonstrating excellent school pride and team resilience.
Thank you to the 2018 Partners & Sponsors!